Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Airifix 1/72nd scale Westland Lyslander Part 2

It has been several weeks, since last I wrote on my progress on the Airifix kit of the Lyslander, since then I have made some progress in adding details and also modifying the paint scheme.

I had said that the kit was lacking details, such as a floorboard, radio equipment and ammunition boxes to name a few; but I am an old time modeler.  What does this mean?  I hold onto scrap plastic , spare parts and decals from just about every kit I build.

I found in my spare box, some sheet plastic that I was able to cut to size for both the floor boards for the pilot and gunner, as well as the radio rack, 


You can see some of the scratch built details here.  The seat assembly nearest the forward fuselage is the rear gunners area.  Sheet plastic was used for the floorboard and plastic from old tree assemblies was cut using scissors then glued in place and pained acrylic black. The floorboard was painted using medium gray.  The larger assembly near the aft fuselage is the pilots area and radio bay.  Again sheet plastic was used for the floor board and the radio mount.  The radio equipment was again made using parts of plastic from old model trees, cut and trimmed and then painted.  The instrument panel was again sheet plastic painted  brown with pewter gray trim.

You will have to trim the plastic used  for the floor board and the radio bay. to fit precisely, remember take your time, you don't have to rush.


You will note a change in the paint scheme since last time. The reason is simple, research showed that the Lysanders in The China, Burma and India theatre in Mid 1942 were still using the Green and Brown camouflage.

Next time more developments in the assembly
Til, then happy modeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment